Preferred lies are now in operation with immediate effect.
The following model local rule will apply:
Model Local Rule E-3
“When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:
- Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
- Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: 6 inches from the reference point, but with these limits:
- Limits on Location of Relief Area:
- Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
- Must be in the general area.
In lay-mans terms, basically if your ball is on an area of the course cut to fairway height or less, you may mark, clean and replace your ball within 6 inches of its original location, not nearer the hole.
Director of Golf
Lakeside Lodge Golf & Country Club